I know the crowds be cray, but one of my absolute favourite events in Melbourne is the Good Food Night Noodle Markets. There is something about balmy evenings on Birrarung Marr complete with the smoky barbecue smell in the air, lanterns lighting up the dusk, sunsets over the city and endless options for Asian street food feasting.
Some of your favourites are back this year, of course. Hoy Pinoy will be sizzling up a storm with their ‘Inihaw na manok’ chicken skewers, and Wonderbao will be back with some of the best steamed buns in town. We can’t wait to see what Mr Miyagi and the Lucas Group favourites have in store, and I have been drooling over Gelato Messina’s Kamikaze Katsu on Instagram already- a deep fried ice cream sandwich!
The Pimms Garden will be back again serving the quintessential sunshine drink, whilst a Beer Night Terrace will show people how to match beer to dishes on offer. Wine lovers will be able to sit on Coonawarra’s Laira wines.
My tips for surviving the craziness of the Night Noodle Markets?
- Come with a group! That way you can tag team and go line up for food, and you don’t have the awkward one person sitting alone waiting.
- Hit the big stalls early- they will sell out, and you don’t want to be the sad person who didn’t get your hands on that taco,or that dessert.
- Take a picnic rug. Seating is always limited and a great way to set up shop and not have to compete for tables is to set up your own spot.
- Bring a furry friend! My dog LOVES socialising at the market, so if your furbaby is a social butterfly, bring them along.
- Make a night of it! Don’t expect the market to be a quick dinner. Spend a few hours grazing through the stalls.
- Leave your cash at home! The market is cashless this year, so hopefully that helps with the queues.
Bring on November!
Have a delicious day,